Friday, August 10, 2012

John Miyasaki, Theater Man

Acting with the hereandnow theatre company was my favorite theater experience in Los Angeles before my unofficial retirement from the stage. I made lifelong friends while exploring my Asian-American identity and learning all the best foodie spots in LA. (hereandnow actors are all foodies – score!)

hereandnow's artistic director John Miyasaki is still leading the charge, creating memorable theater and traveling the country with the group’s signature pieces. (Fantastic, anyone?)

John’s latest directorial effort is The Brahmin and the Tiger: and other stories of love, loss and courage in between, a co-production between hereandnow and Company of Angels.


In anticipation of seeing the show myself, I interviewed John. Leave it to a true artist to answer my standard Dream Lunch Date question by talking about an immersive experience rather than name drop celebrities...



What do you love about directing stage?

There are so many things I love about directing. I love it when [actors] get it. When they’re on stage and you guide them a little and let them discover…and something clicks. That moment of recognition. I love that.

Why should Angelenos see local theater?

They should see theater, especially this show, because it’s rare that we get to tell our own stories as a community. It gives us a voice.

It also gives us a history and a place to try things out - to come together and see the differences as well as the unique commonalities that if we look real hard, we can find.

Favorite theater experience as an audience member?

Bill Irwin and David Shiner did a show years ago called Fool Moon and it was one of the most amazing things I‘ve ever seen. It was a beautiful, beautiful show.

A lot of mime, a lot of music – the Red Clay Ramblers did all the music. And I think that I’ve noticed that a lot of pieces that I do have hints of that style from that show.

I also love Quidam. It's one of my favorite shows ever – mainly because of the imagery between the circus acts. I think it’s the best Cirque du Soleil show since the first one.

Dream lunch date?

To go to The LA Farmer’s Market because I love almost every restaurant there. Just after 2 o’clock and have an early dinner, then hang out and get drinks until the sun goes down and it’s real nice and cool. Basically have my own tapas picking and choosing from all the different restaurants.

Thanks John! THE BRAHMIN & THE TIGER runs until August 26, 2012. Get your tickets here!

1 comment:

  1. ENCORE RUN!

    “THE BRAHMIN & THE TIGER” opens October 5th and runs Fridays at 8pm; Saturdays at 8 pm; and Sundays at 2 pm for the first two weekends. Starting October 20th performances run Fridays at 8pm; Saturdays at 2pm and 8pm; and Sundays at 2pm.

    All performances will be at The Rosenthal Theater, Inner-City Arts, 720 Kohler Street, Downtown Los Angeles, CA 90021.

    The Opening Night Gala will be October 5 with a pre-show wine and cheese reception and a post-show served-food reception with the cast. Tickets for the Opening Night Gala will be $40.

    For performances Oct 6-28: General admission: $25, Seniors & Students $20, Children $8. Early Bird Tickets $14 (before Oct. 4th) and group discounts are also available. Tickets can be purchased online at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/275479

    ReplyDelete