Friday, March 16, 2012

My Geeky Con History

Today, I'm doing something I've dreamed about for years. I'm speaking on a panel at WonderCon! It's called Pitching Diversity - 1:30pm in Room 208, hosted by Wide Lantern. Stop by if you're at the Con!

Why is this a big deal for me? Because I love Cons! (Short for Conventions - often referring to sci-fi and comic book conventions.)

In 2005, I was introduced to the geekfest extravaganza called Comic-Con and I've attended every year since. I don't dress up, but I do revel in the fandom. I ask questions at panels, I browse the artist booths, I buy nerdy tchotchke - I love it all.

So getting to be on the presentation side of a Con event is really exciting for me, even though WonderCon is a smaller event. I'm looking forward to a robust discussion about diversity in film and television - and taking advantage of that all-access pass.

Here's a brief look back at my Con history -

In 2006, I spotted Joss Whedon and proceeded to blubber like an idiot about loving Firefly and how I thought there should be more visionaries like him running Hollywood. He was nice enough to pose for this picture - don't I look adorkably giddy?


Spotted more celebrities in 2007, including popular genre TV character actor Mark Sheppard. Christopher's the one who looks adorkable in this one:


2008 - The closest I ever came to the Stargate! I think I won an action figure at this booth, which I promptly sold on eBay when I got home.


In 2009, I spotted not one, but TWO Elvis Storm Troopers. Mash-up costumes like this started becoming more and more popular. Also spotted this year - Leisure Suit Boba Fett and Jack in the Box Jedi. Priceless.


2010 was a tiring year - the massive expansion of Comic-Con meant longer lines, more crowding, and heightened frustrations. Still, I managed to snag a smiling picture with two superstars - Mike Adair and Bob Holt, the voices of Hoops & Yoyo!


2011 was my shortest stay to date - just long enough to visit with friends like Todd Stashwick and Dennis Calero, who were promoting their Web comic Devil Inside.


No current plans to attend Comic-Con 2012, but anything could happen!

Have you ever been to Comic-Con in San Diego?

No comments:

Post a Comment