Saturday, March 10, 2012

Forced Retail Immersion

I had to go shopping this week. Yes, it was actually required. I'm shooting new headshots with the amazing Toshiko Photo on Sunday and I needed to gather pieces to create my four looks.

Shopping with a goal is always stressful for me because I worry about not finding what I need and coming home exhausted and empty-handed. To ensure success, I went to my favorite store - Goodwill!

When I was a teenager, shopping at a thrift store instead of the mall was inconceivable and could ruin your social standing in a heartbeat. But now that I'm a savvy, financially responsible artist, it just makes sense. It's less expensive, more eco-friendly, and a fashionably smart move in a city like Los Angeles, where can you always find designer labels among the racks. My wardrobe is still mostly Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, and White House Black Market - I'm just not paying full price for any of it!


Yesterday I browsed and browsed until I could browse no more. I ended up with 2 belts, 14 shirts, an Ann Taylor suit jacket, a hat, a handbag, and a pair of jeans for a little over $100. What's not to love about that?


I was on a clothing-focused mission, so I didn't spend too much time in the other parts of the store, which were filled with treasures. Like this:


After an exhausting day of shopping, I headed for home, stopping at Taco Bell first to pick up one of the new Doritos Locos Tacos:


Yes, that's a taco shell made out of Doritos. Read my brother's Doritos Locos Tacos review at Junk Food Guy.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand how you feel. I actually dread going to retail stores, it's a bit suffocating for me. As a working mom on a budget, I browse ebay occasionally to get things I like but can't afford. Last year, I got a pair of barely used Ferragamo shoes for $35.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! After a year of not buying anything, walking into a Kohl's or a Target now feels quite overwhelming. I just stand there and think, "Who needs all this stuff?!?"

      Congrats on the Ferragamo shoes on eBay - I love it! :)

      Delete