Monday, October 31, 2011

The Misery Company is Here

When I bought the short story collection The Misery Company at Comic-Con a few years ago, I was just being supportive of my friend’s husband Joshua Pruett. I didn’t expect to be totally taken by his fiercely unique prose. Dark and shocking, yet humorous and whimsical at the same time, every single fiction piece in this collection was original and captivating. In that moment, I became a fan.

So imagine my excitement when Josh asked me to voice a character in a radio play version of The Misery Company, his title story from that collection. I don’t want to give away the plot, but imagine if the surviving gals from Night of the Living Dead, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, and other horror films formed a support group to cope with life after the monsters. That’s the Misery Company.

Recording the radio play last week was a total joy. The rest of the cast was crazy talented and I felt so grateful to be included. Plus there was pizza and candy.

Josh turned out to be a great director in addition to being a great writer. The script was 16 pages long, but we breezed through it faster than expected, then enjoyed recording a few sound effects of getting killed, heaving furniture, and screaming. Fun.


The Misery Company is the third in a collection of horror radio plays called The Jupiter Signal released today on the Potato Potato Podcast.

Download and listen to The Jupiter Signal here!

All three stories are creepy, hilarious stuff – perfect for Halloween! Listen and you’ll definitely become a Joshua Pruett fan too. Happy Halloween, y'all!


Photos by Mike Roush
Like The Misery Company on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment