Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Actress, TV Writer...and Author?

I’m writing a novel.

(I know, isn’t everybody?)

It emerged during my Relax & Write classes – a story about two generations of fiercely independent single mothers in Marblehead, Massachusetts. It has developed over the past two years in bits and pieces – a chapter here, a scene there – always in the background of my other writing.

But as I’m waiting to hear about my pilot, my mind drifts back to my two ladies in New England. On a recent trip to Costco, I wandered among the book aisles, picking up various debut novels and reading about their authors. Some were lifelong writers while others were former doctors or lawyers adding their first fiction novel to their long list of accomplishments.

And the romantic notion of seeing my name on the cover of a published book swept me back into my imagination. I went home and pulled out all my writing journals that contain all the bits and pieces of my novel and started typing them out. I’ve gotten through the first two journals and have over 25,600 words in my computer so far. Three more journals to go!

My goal is to get everything typed up and organized, then determine what else needs to be written to round out my first manuscript, if for no other reason than to say I finished it. Published authors like Marie Lu often complete several manuscripts before writing the one that gets sold. This could be my novel in the drawer before I write my bestseller! Then again, The Help was Kathryn Stockett’s first manuscript, so you never know.

As I’m typing, I’m simply enjoying living through these characters again – their strength, their pain, and their delicious quirks – all from my mind, and yet living on their own on the page. The most joyous typing exercise ever. I’m hoping to finish by Friday – after that, who knows?

What’s your favorite novel?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the pilot! Looking forward to your novel :)

    ReplyDelete