Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Writer’s Diet Experiment, Day 7

I made it! A solid week of daily blogging about my life as a writer/actor/busy bee. I hope everyone found this slice of my life interesting. Looking back on all the things I did every day to build and drive my career, my main thought is this – no wonder I don’t have time for the gym!

This Sunday morning, I slept in. I mean, really slept in. I had a delicious romantic comedy dream starring Josh Charles and laid in bed for at least 30 minutes trying to figure out if I could actually turn it into a script. Many of my story ideas come to me in dreams, but this time I decided to move on. The story had already been done a million times – which is why it probably crept into my dream.

A few hours writing in bed, then moved to my desk to catch up on online acting submissions. I try to submit myself every day to projects on Actors Access, LA Casting, & NOW Casting, but I was a few days behind.


Even though I prefer to be paid for my acting work, I always look for compelling short films & student projects because they’re great opportunities to get on camera and try new things.

I also put a headshot in the mail for the next ABC|Disney Talent Showcase. I dug out this self-inking stamp I had made when hard copy submissions were the standard. I haven’t used it in ages.


These talent showcases used to be called diversity showcases, but all the networks have taken the word diversity out of their programs. Presumably to focus on a wider pool of talent development, but don’t white actors already have plenty of opportunity? Just saying...


This afternoon was my Relax & Write recital, where everyone read five-minute pieces of writing they’d done in class. The house was packed with people, good food, and beautiful words. I read my fiction piece inspired by the bench in (500) Days of Summer.


Well, that’s a wrap on my Writer’s Diet Experiment! Let me know what you liked about my daily reports below. Otherwise, we now return you to your regularly scheduled blog.

2 comments:

  1. i loved reading about your week! i want more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome week!!! don't stop blogging, really enjoyed reading about the life and work of an actress. it's exciting to see all of the projects you're involved in.

    i wonder if there will ever be an Asian American actors showcase. how cool would that be?

    by the way, just started watching a new tv series called "Suits". I think you'd really like it. in the first episode they already started bashing Harvard kids ( GO MIT! ).

    looking forward to more blog posts. take care!

    Best,
    Julian

    ReplyDelete