Thursday, December 5, 2013

My Advice About Bryan Cranston's Advice

Bryan Cranston recently shared this advice for actors --



"You're not going there to get a job. You're going there to present what you do. You act."

Bryan makes a solid point - whether or not you get a role is completely out of your control, so don't even think about it when you go to auditions. Just do the work. Be an actor.

And that's great advice...if you're going on auditions.

But if you're not auditioning - if your agent is submitting you but not getting auditions for you - or if you don't have an agent at all and never audition, can you still be considered an actor?

I say yes!

I remember my first year in Los Angeles - going to acting class, mailing headshots, reading Backstage every week. I was "pounding the pavement" diligently, without getting much in return. No auditions, no agent - no opportunities.

Was I still an actor? Absolutely! I didn't let my lack of auditions get me down because of this definition of an actor's job that someone (can't remember who) gave me that actually expands what Bryan said --

The work of an actor is looking for work.

Auditioning makes you an actor. Looking for auditions also makes you an actor.

Develop your craft while dedicating your time and energy to dropping off headshots, submitting yourself online, and going to class to keep your skills sharp, because that's what will get you auditions so you can show off your craft. It's all connected.

If you get an audition, absolutely follow Bryan's advice. Act. Create a compelling and interesting character without a single thought about the result. Do your job.

And after you walk away, you can get back to your other job, which is looking for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment